In the area banked by the mouth of the stream Krupina into river Ipeľ and part where river leaves the borders of Slovakia , is situated a town. It lies very north on the volcanic fold, morphologically marked by the river. Somewhere in Tertiary there was a nature catastrophe, which result was a separation of two mountains Börzsöny and Štiavnické hory and on the place of depressive river Ipeľ made its riverbed. The town emerged on the last foreland of Krupiny plain.
Šahy raised on the very important medieval business road, which extended from the Kings settlement of Estergom, later Budín, through river Ipeľ to town Banská Štiavnica, but also to town Zvolen right to Poland. Establishment the first settlement was conditioned by founding monastery cloister, which ruins can be seen today. Fuschoff´s monastery in accordance with Bombardy says that members of the origin HUNT family established the Benedictine’s cloister in 1705. Codex of György Fehér contains following documents: in 1265 confirmed the establishing documents of cloister for Establisher Marton King Béla IV. Document was lost during the Tatar’s attack. In 1268 Béla the IV. Certifies, that Mr. Marton donated whole town SAHY to convert in the day of ordination. In the same year gave the king of villain the old provosts to the King’s superior. King Ladislav V. confirms the validity of privileged documents, given by his father to cloister in years 1258, 1259, 1264, 1265, 1266 a 1268. In 1275 Ladislav IV. Sets the people of Sag from taxes and boarding officers, in spite of the damage in the previous years. The King loved going there hunting und according to the monastery provost Laurence begged the Queen for help to lighten the people from excessive boarding the falconers and dog handlers. Other members of Arpad origin liked to hunting in our woods. As evidence there are Kings wells in Olvar valley.
Monastery cloister in ŠAHY is renovating quite fast under the support of our Kings and Queens . In 1266 convert is being given a toll law, in 1405 market law, in 1407 from King Zigmund the capital law. But magnificious, who were jealous of the Sahy convent prosperity, had robbed it many times. There was no power on the royal court against them.
In the times, when Turk’s prepared them to fight against Hungary , royal court gave the order in accordance with the law 44 from year 1546; fortify the cloister to settlement from the state money. The first General of the castle was György Thuri /1519–1571/, who was born in a neighbouring village Túrovce. His grand father has already fought against Matiáš Black´s regiment. In 1539-1552 he was the commander of hussars, later became a castle general. His heroic deeds were famous in a whole neighbourhood. Next he saved the castle in Levice and honoured himself in a battle in Salka near Plašťovce in 1552. In that time, from 1550 he was a commander of ŠAHY castle Ferenc Jakusich, who fought small Turk´s groups from Vac and Szécsény, but after the battle Drégely castle 4. JULY 1552 the fort in ŠAHY was captured. In the battle in Plášťovce dated 10th – 11th of July were emperor’s guards fought by 10 thousands men of Ali Paša. Monk went to Benedictine’s cloister, where they carried all important inventory of convent.
Šahy and neighbourhood were invaded by Turk´s twice: from 1552 till 1595, later from 1626 to the till the reattach of Buda castle in 1686. The inventory from 1626 shows 33 fathers, all together 238 taxes payers. In these times the Turk´s settlements area was marked in a brook of Silvers meadows that had existed in a last century. The first signet of ŠAHY comes from this time that shows a provost with mitre on his head and a pastoral stick in his hand, with a circle sign Sigillum oppidi Saag. The cloister was the most famous in 16th century, when his superior was a provost illuminate Ferencz Fegyverneki, who established a priest seminary
In the battles of Kuruc Labský, dated 25th September 1704 , Ferenc Rákóczi II. Stopped with his 5 thousand men army in ŠAHY. He stayed in cloister and welcomed delegation from Sedmohradsko, who announced him to the monarch
In 1688 Emperor and King Leopold I. donated their property and cloister to the Jesuits. From this time title of provost gives the King to the same of priest Of Ostrohim. Jesuits built on the ruins of the ŠAHY castle and cloister their boarding and agricultural buildings, later in 1734 a church. This burnt out together in town in 1832. It was rebuilt from its base; the year of church arch rebuilt is 1734. Stone bridge, which was damaged in the II. World War was also rebuilt by Jesuits in 1769. Just after annulling the Jesuits order donated Maria Teresa the property and cloister to Rožnava chapter, whose been mending to them till today. They rebuilt the cloister. The building of convent standing today was used as a granary and boarding room for legal guardian. The town had a long lasting disagreement with Rožňava chapter, who owned a ground beginning from the church up to north direction, including today’s training institution, beers store, Evangelic church and park. In spite of this they could not build the town.
In time of František Plachý reign the first Town Halls walls were built on the left bank side – approximately in area of Jewish cemetery and part HOMOK – where there was an election of reign and the new robe de chamber Anton Majthényi carried his point to move it to the current place, where were only houses of villains and workmen . Their ground was bought and after moving the building material from HOMOK, the building started and was finished in 1857. That was in times, when Austrian emperor and Hungarian King Ferenc Josef I. visited the country and Šahy. For making the building forward he made a financial contribution from Treasury against amount of 32 thousand Forint.
In the settlement of robe de chamber had begun a political and economical ferment in the earliest 20th .In 1836 under the incitation of Mikuláš Fehérváry a Medard Gyürky was established HONTY archaeological society, for rescuing historical memorials in the area of chamber. The society perished in 1844 and its collections were given to National Museum in Budapest . In 1838 was established Honty economical unity, for uplifting the local agricultural chambers. It was running till 1846. Elections taken part in 1830 were distinguished by attendance of István Széchenyi, the leader of progressing ideas that time. On this meeting he was elected a judge of the chamber.
The March folk uprising had been shortly increased into the international affair. Laws proclaiming the equality before law deleted the barriers between societies. First chamber meeting in ŠAHY was in May 1848. Deputies assembled in the yard of chamber house, because there was no other larger room, where all could fit in. Not even were invited the representatives of OLD law, the aristocracy, but also new deputies, two each from every village. Leader of chamber assembled the staircase, the hall, speaker were standing in windows so everybody could see them. After the strong speech of Ladislav Majthényi, robe de chamber HONT, the new laws presented Antal Gyürky, secretary of chamber. The new laws were accepted with pleasure without looking at the nationality. Honti people were also active in uprising. Very first war Lajos Pongrácz, later state’s secretary of Financial. A lot of wanted to join Territorial army. According to the official bulletin the uprising joined colonel Ladislav and Štefan Pongrácz, major Ferdinand Szulyovsky, officer Anton Gyürky, officers Anton Rózsenberszky, Vincent Nagy, Szilárd Totovits and more first lieutenants and lieutenants. Territorial Army had 10 thousand people. The battles took part twice in the area of town. Görgey´s army 16 thousand men came to Budapešť in January 1849. They continued to mining towns.
On 9th of January the first robe de chamber Majthény took the new recruit to Görgey. While Görgey was leading to Levice, general Richard Guy / originally from England / secured the back part and defend against WIndischgrätz´s progress, till the Görgey came to Kalinčiakovo. He was honour by canoness, who were bombing from Castle hill / today known as Calvarias / and Hussar’s, who moved their whips very skilfully. The second meeting of the army was, when Görgey´s army was moving to Tekovské Lužany and in the surrounding of the town the Austrian army was catching them up. After laying down their arms at Világos, they become a part of military dictatorship. It lasted till Austrian – Hungarian settlement.
Honty casino, one of the oldest in Hungary , provided its activity before revolution. New ideas come out from this place. Janko Kráľ, the poetry writer and his friend were also defenders of these ideas. They stirred up people in the northern parts of chamber, between Slovak people. The leaders of chamber made order to arrest them, because they were outraged folk against lords under the sign “HANG the LORDS, BURN the CASTLES!!! Janko Kráľ has described his ideas in his poem ŠAHY, while he was against prison in the town hall.
Town hall started to develop in 50th years, In 1848-49 population compounded in two social classes – farmers and small workmen – in this time the social class of Lords is developing from robes de chambers, lawyers, doctors, and some businessmen. The Jews families settled down in town, who took part in business activities. More interesting was the life in 80th years, where the first chamber court and tax office were established.
After Austrian – Hungarian settlement in 1867 a Community for Improvement and esthetical Appearance of Town was established. A Chairman became Ľudovít Pongrácz, the main chief in district, a secretary Benő Sághy, town’s lawyer. Their work began in cancelling the market hall that was situated on the Main Square . There also was a horse stable and cows stable. In the days of great markets there was rather disgusting to enter the town because of mud and dirt. From town grant, thus additional taxes, Ludovít Pongrácz built the pavements and public lights. Rebuilt of workmen houses to two - storied shops was so quick that in 1850-60 on the both parts of town stood opulent buildings. Antal Gyürky, executive in school is responsible for building up the first two-storeyed school at the church, where now is the training institution. A park was established, too. The ground for building up a hospital on kapitulská street was not suitable. The town bought the large land in HOMOK.
In 1876 pianist and composer Antal Siposs arranged a few benefit concerts for developing education. In the same year begins its activity womanly intuition as well as drama course. The newspaper called HONTI GAZDA / Honty farmer / was printed. In 1876 a firehouse was established. His chief became a renter of property, Alexander Nagy.
Construction of the town continued with opulent buildings. After the bank in 1867, there was a burgher’s girl’s school in 1872, financial palace in 1886, another bank in 1899, the new Town Hall with Honty Casino on the first floor in 1888, Hotel Pannónia in 1906. Around a turn of centuries there are three printing rooms: Neumann’s , Ignác Polgár´ s and Tóth´s & Brza´s. On the beginning of 20th century the new Hotel Lengyel was built, following Folk´s Bank and family Salka´s storeyed houses and Wollner´s and in 1936 Adlers house.
Since 1859 the pride of the town has been a baroque pole and the statue of Saint Mary standing on it. In 1898 a Honty Museum was established after long lasting works, his first director became Elemér Pongrácz. Around the turn of century, on the 27th of September 1900 a hospital was open, its first director was Dr. Endre Sebestyén Kovács, who laid down his life for it. In the second part of 19th century there was a railway network. First train arrived to ŠAHY railway station on 10th of September form Štúrovo, after finishing the railway joining ŠAHY- ČATA. In 1891 railway connecting Šahy–Balašské Ďarmoty was finished and in 1899 railway Šahy–Krupina. At last, 11th of July 1900 the first train from Budapešť arrived. New Post office, telegraphic office and railway were connected the town with life outside.
Town continued its development in earliest 20th . In 1902 the first sport club IFC – Football Club ŠAHY was established. The first electricity company was established, which changed old oil lamps to gas ones. The richest years of the town are famous by establishing a Secondary Grammar School in 1913. Its first principal became Endre Barczán / from 1913 to 1919/. Unfortunately the next development of town stopped the I. World War. After its end, the newer history of ŠAHY is becoming.