The first written mention about the town ŠAHY is from the 13th century and can be found in the document of King Béla IV. From 1237. In this document the town is named as Saag. Šahy was in this time the part of Honty chair, which centre was the castle Hont. The first chairs were established on the beginning of 11th century, during King Stefan reign.
First public functions of town SAHY comes from the times of monastery rules. Priest of monastery lived in cloister that was established in 1238: its establisher was Mr. Márton. The character of a town gained ŠAHY in reign of King Žigmund, who clarified the Law of market in 1405 and two years later Law of sword. Law of toll Sahy had already had since 1266. The cloister’s great meaning was a settlement of the medieval public notary's office /locus exedibilis/. Since its establishment till the Tatar’s occupation in the middle of 16th century. /locus exedibilis/. Provosts were credible place not only for Honty chair, but even for the New Castles , Zvolen´s, Tekov´s and Gemer´s. In 1657 was established church registry / public registry has already been established in 1896 /. Except Church obligations, the Saints services were carried out.
From the middle of 16th century, after the Turk´s invasion, Honty chair didn’t have their own settlement and always hold the meeting in towns Banská Štiavnica, Bátovce, Sebechleby, Vinica, Krupina. Since 1751 the capital of chair became town KEMENCE. When in year 1806 the chamber house burnt out, the chair was decided to move to ŠAHY. The new position of SAHY as a capital chair brought to town economical, cultural and social development. The town became an administrative centre of Hont. In 1848 chairs disappear and were renamed to chamber.
Austrian – Hungarian’s settlement in 1867 brought to chamber administrative-boarding changes. There were five districts instead of four ones. Town ŠAHY, Krupina, Veľká Čalomia, Bátovce and Szob. Distinguished position these districts run the activity of chambers. The head of chamber was robe of chamber, which was voted by a lord. The main authority was general meeting, who hold its meeting 4 times a year. The highest voted official was the first robe of chamber, which spoke to the general meetings and appeared in the name of chamber. Chambers notabilities were holders of functions. The districts clerks were the direct holders of chamber’s resolution leading by voted main lord. This fact raises the purpose and position of districts. This era brought a unique town development.
Break-up of Austrian – Hungarian monarchy and establishment Czech and Slovak Republic in 1918 expresses the reorganisation of chambers. The Honty chamber broke to two parts after signed up the Trianon agreement on 4th July 1920 . The larger part fell to Czech and Slovak Republic and smaller part to Hungary . Town Šahy became a boarder town, still a capital of northern part of Honty chamber as well as the districts till the reform dated 1st January 1923 . Up to this time Šahy stopped its function as a settlement of chamber and district. The Branch of Krupina district had been established here.
The time between 1919 and 1922 is the last part of the chambers development in the times of old administration. The Government joined 16 historical chambers into 6 Great Chambers Rule nr. 310/1922. The Honty chamber joined to Zvolen´s chamber. This chambers system lasted till 1927. Law nr. 125/1927 exchanged them to land authority and robe de chambers exchanged districts chiefs leaded by district’s Chief Executive.
In 1938 Sahy belongs to Hungary per Munich ’s agreement. In August 1945 after the World War II. Powers of the states agreed to open the borders according to Trianon´s agreement. Šahy became the part of Czech-Slovakia Republic .
In this time the new era of public authorities begins-national committees. Sahy belong to district Krupina, but the branch district office of national comities was reopened here. In Šahy emerged the town national committees. On the 1st January Sagy became the district town till the 1960, when SAHY´s districts perished and town was integrate to districts Levice. In spite of an administrative reform in 1960 there was established a Town national committee in SAHY. Follows with others town public institutions such as Town Education centre, Public services, Library and others.
In spite of political decisions in 80th years there is an integration of the villages. There are established joint national committees, smaller villages are joining to towns. In 1980 villages Hrkovce and Preseľany ending their independency and are being the part of ŠAHY. Village Tešmak became a part of ŠAHY in 1986. After the change of society structure the village Hrkovce became independent again in 1998.
The fundamental change in society as well as in public administration begins in 1989 in the time of “ velvet “ revolution. Setting by the Law Nr. 369/1990 of statute book about the village authority national committees ended and there were established town and village authorities. In the very forts democratise elections the city mayor and deputies of town representation were voted. First mayor city became JUDr. Ernest Zsolnayho, who was re-elected in the next elections in 1994 and 1998. In accordance to law of village authority there was established municipal authorities in ŠAHY as an executive body for city mayor and town representation. Follows by establishment of others town authority: city council and committee of town representation.
During the reform of public administration in 1990 were established districts offices, there were working as branch offices for districts authority. The main office was in SAHY. There was set up a job centre and tax office. In 1996 new districts established. Their number rose up to 79. Request of town SAHY and its suburbs of reopening the SAHY district was not accepted form government. Nowadays there is being prepared a legislation of public administration reform. We consider of cancelling the district and county council and increasing the power of public administration and establishing second administration bodies. On the threshold of the third century Sahy is the well-developed town, with democratically thinking people, who are ready to take the destiny of town to their hands as they already showed in last century.